Stop the “Twindemic”: Get your flu shot!
Health Department adds Clinics as vaccine arrives
Due to high demand for flu vaccination, Montgomery Health Department is scheduling its fall flu clinics on a rolling basis as vaccine arrives. All clinics will be by appointment to allow for social distancing.
For the most updated schedule, check our website https://health.montgomery.nj.us/.
As of today, the following clinics are confirmed by appointment only:
- Wednesday, September 30: Senior walk-up FULLY BOOKED
- New! Wednesday, October 7, 9AM to 10:30 AM Outdoor Walk-up at Otto Kaufman Senior Center, 356 Skillman Road AGE 65+ ONLY
- Tuesday, October 6, 3PM to 5PM, Outdoor Walk-up at Rocky Hill Borough Hall Gazebo, 15 Montgomery Road
- Additional drive-through clinics will be announced for October as flu vaccine shipments arrive.
Public Health officials are getting ready for a surge in respiratory illnesses this fall. Officials worry that an anticipated “second wave” of COVID infections will strike at the same time as seasonal influenza, resulting in a “twindemic” that could push the health care system to the breaking point. Montgomery Township Health Department is encouraging everyone to get their annual flu shots as soon as the flu vaccine is available locally.
“We are anticipating a surge in demand for flu shots this season,” says Montgomery Township Health Officer Stephanie Carey. “At the same time, we are re-designing the way we operate our flu clinics, to implement social distancing and prevent crowding.” Enhanced safety measures include:
- All vaccinations will be provided by appointment only. Appointments can be made now by emailing email@example.com or by calling 908-359-8211 x2227.
- Consent forms will be emailed, and forms to print and complete will be posted on the Health Department Website, https://health.montgomery.nj.us/.
- Appointments will be spaced to allow for social distancing, and to allow nurses extra time to disinfect between patients.
- Clinics will be offered both as drive-through, and walk-up outdoor clinic models.
“We are having to re-work our whole model of how we deliver vaccines, quickly, safely, and to a large population,” said Carey. “In addition to protecting our community from the flu right now, this fall’s clinics give us the chance to better prepare for the day sometime in the future when a COVID vaccine becomes available.”
Safety Rules for Walk-Up Clinics
- Masks are mandatory.
- Appointments are mandatory
- Please print your consent form at home and complete before going to the clinic.
- Free to Medicare
- Free to residents who have lost their jobs, lost their insurance, or lost income due to the pandemic
- Free to first responders and their households (with ID)
- $25 to all others (We will provide receipts for you to request reimbursement/cafeteria plan but cannot process these claims)
VOTE-BY-MAIL BALLOT BOX @ MUNI BUILDING ETA
Montgomery Township has been informed that Somerset County will be delivering ballot return boxes to all townships, including Montgomery, this week. Montgomery’s box will be located by the front door of the municipal building at 2261 Rt. 206, Belle Mead and is covered by security cameras. Vote-by-mail ballots should be arriving in the mailboxes of every active registered voter shortly. (Check your registration status at: https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/registration-check )
Should a voter wish to place their ballot in a return box prior to Montgomery Township’s box being available this week, we advise that a ballot box is already in place in front of the Somerset County Administrative Offices at 20 Grove St. Somerville, NJ. (See photo.)
Somerset County Clerk has also released a step-by-step photo tutorial on how to cast a vote. Go to: https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/government/elected-officials/county-clerk/election-division/2020-general/voting-steps#ad-image-0
For a video tutorial in both English and Spanish, go to: https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/2020general and click on the right tab, labeled: “VIDEO TUTORIALS”.
MONTGOMERY BIZ FORUM TONIGHT – Join Us!
Montgomery Township will host a Business Forum tonight, Sept. 23 from 7:00 to 8:00 pm as a Zoom Webinar. No advance registration is necessary. The purpose of this forum is to connect local business owners with township professionals and elected officials to get the latest information and open the discussion for businesses to get as many related questions answered right then and there.
Chris Edwards, the new CEO of the Somerset County Business Partnership, will join a virtual Montgomery Business Forum on September 23 to talk about how businesses county-wide are responding to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, Township staff related to Health, Planning, Finance, Code Enforcement, and Police will be available to answer questions on local reopening measures and current health and safety regulations/recommendations.
Those wishing to participate should use the following link to join the webinar (there is no need to pre-register):
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83407518532?pwd=TzJlWWc1djF3NDR1UUJVOG5ja3VwQT09 Passcode: 161181 or go to Zoom.us and use Webinar ID: 834 0751 8532 and Passcode: 161181.
For businesses unable to attend, the forum will be recorded and available for viewing in a few days on the Township website at the meetings video webpage’s Specialty Tab.
TODAY’S COVID-19 CASE REPORT
Note: There have been zero (0) new cases in Montgomery/Rocky Hill since our last report Monday, 9-21-20.
As of 9 am today, 9-23
NJ cases: 200,988
NJ deaths: 16,082
Somerset County cases: 5,725
Somerset County deaths: 572
Montgomery cases: 169
Montgomery deaths: 7
Rocky Hill cases: 6
Rocky Hill deaths: 0
Age Ranges of Cases in Montgomery & Rocky Hill:
175 confirmed and probably cases for Montgomery and Rocky Hill in total, of which:
– 158 presumed recovereda
– 10 currently ill
– 7 fatalities
a “Presumed recovered” means 30 days have elapsed since individual’s diagnosis and the person is not hospitalized.
*****DISCLAIMER***** Reported numbers on this page may not match the figures provided on the Somerset County page. This is due to differences in reporting times.
Testing Site info found at: https://health.montgomery.nj.us/covid-testing/