High temperatures exceeding 90°F along with high humidity are expected in the next several days. The Montgomery Township Health Department is reminding residents to take steps to stay cool during this heat wave.
Hot temperatures and humidity are dangerous and can prove deadly. During heat waves like this one, it’s important to stay cool, hydrated, and informed.
Follow these tips to stay safe during extreme heat:
• Stay in air conditioning. When possible, stay in air conditioning on hot days. If you don’t have air conditioning, head to libraries, malls, and other public spaces to keep cool.
• Check on loved ones. Be sure to check on older friends and neighbors who live alone and don’t have air conditioning.
• Avoid the hottest part of the day. If you have to be outside, stick to the cooler morning and evening hours. Wear light, loose clothing and take frequent, air conditioned breaks.
• Beware of hot cars. Never leave a person or a pet in a parked car, even for a short time. On an 80 degree day, the temperature inside a car can reach 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.
• Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water on hot days. Avoid alcohol and hot, heavy meals.
• Stay informed. Watch your local weather forecasts so you can plan outdoor activities safely. Pay attention to any extreme heat alerts.
• Keep your pets cool. Be sure to give your pets plenty of fresh, clean water. Make sure they have a shady place to get out of the sun, or bring them indoors.